Friday, March 2, 2012

How many identities?

I'm beginning to realize that through the eyes of my students, I will start to see myself in many different ways.

For example, when I was teaching ninth grade, one student dubbed me "Ms. Pretty." Who's going to complain about that!?

Now that I am teaching middle school, however, things are a little different. From one student I heard:

"Ms., you're goofy."
"Goofy?"
"Yea, you laugh too much."

Another semi-compliment. I don't see anything wrong with laughing too much. But that's nothing compared with what I heard from another student. My first day in the class, a student—let's call him Jerry—says to me:

"You know, miss, you remind me of.... you remind me of one of those little people."
"Excuse me?"
"You remind me of a little person."
"A little person?"
"Yea, you know, a midget."
"WHAT?! A midget? ... Jerry, how about you stand up and we'll see who's a midget (seventh graders are small)."
"Well, not in looks, obviously, but in personality."

Obviously.

I figured it was a fluke, until the next time I saw Jerry and he decided that since he already pinpointed my personality, it was time he took a stab at my looks:

"Miss, you know what you look like?"
"What?"
"You look like one of the gnomes from Gnomeo & Juliet. Doesn't she? Doesn't she guys!?"

You think so??

The surrounding students couldn't help but agree.

Clearly, according to Jerry and pals I am akin to some sort of whimsical creature. Not sure if I should be flattered or concerned.

I feel like Bill Cosby over here. Kids say the darnedest things!

No comments:

Post a Comment