Friday, March 2, 2012

To teach, perchance to dream.

Aye, there's the rub.

So I did it. After years of being scared to commit, I realized I wouldn't find anything that could possibly fit me better and I took the leap. I took the leap hard. I entered into a teacher education graduate program, because the most expensive way to do something is always the best, clearly.

Driving across the country mainly looks like this. 
This decision came with a lot of consequences. I moved across the country and I started a new life, in almost every conceivable way. I signed on for a significant amount of new debt. I met some amazing people, not the least of which were the students I ended up teaching. The kids I don't see anymore, I miss terribly; the kids I now see regularly, I adore getting to know. I feel this will be a trend that will continue for the entirety of my career. You see, the kids are why I do this. Every day is different, exciting, hilarious, challenging. There's no competing with it.

More than anything, I find that between my eye-opening experiences in the classroom and my immense frustrations as a consumer of an education where I don't always feel I'm getting my money's worth, I've got a lot to say. Not to mention concerning the life that's getting lived between the lines. Hopefully some of what I have to say will be valuable to aspiring teachers, aspiring students or aspiring life-livers. If not, then I guess I'll just talk to the wall.

In the meantime, here's a video I was introduced to by some high school seniors presenting a project on Hamlet. Pretty succinct, if you ask me (except, of course the slightly anti-semitic undertones).

No comments:

Post a Comment